Should Banned Users Lose Their Bags?

• Yes - lose the badges

• No - Let them keep the badges

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Achievement Hunting
After tonight's events on a New Comer help thread, which aggrod a lot of staff attention, I have been thinking a lot about ways to help the administration and moderators out as it seems a lot of users have become restless and rebellious.

As a fellow Veteran and Guide Author, I was once told by @Broken that I received my title (TI)/ badge because I deserved it, and it could be revoked if administration found that I was no longer fit to carry them. Which is understandable, as a Guide Author I must post informative content and stay polite on this website as people may look up to me; thus I need to give a good example.

In regards to bans, as I have never been banned I do not know the exact details, so please correct me if i am wrong. To my understanding, prior to receiving a ban, players first get a warning by staff members. If they continue breaking the rules and code of conduct of the forum, they would then receive a ban.

Would it not be rational to strip the banned users from their earned badges (to the exclusion of maybe donor and years served)? As I am sure we do not want members that misrepresent the twink forums to show hard earned and well respected rewards such as these badges on users who do not care for the well being of this website.

I for one, would not feel fit to carry my badges if I were to get banned.

On another, more psychological note @Allybeboba (and by all means, correct me if I'm wrong), think of this idea as more of a negative reinforcement. Right now, users have nothing to lose from a ban apart from a time off. Some people might see it even as an irelevant punishment for the damage they can inflict on the community for such a little price. Now, imagine if you lost all your badges if you received a ban. I can tell you for sure people would think twice before posting that racist comment or disrespectful insult, whatever it may be. People would have something to lose for their negative behaviour.

Now I ask the Xpoff community, through polling, what do you guys think? Should banned users lose their badges?

Ofc they should keep whatever badge the had. They earned it at the time. If they are banned they won't be seen anyway? lmao

I'm not sure of your current banning rules.

Now let's say you guys do temp bans (30 day, etc) for minor offenses after a warning...I think they should keep them.

Now someone IP banned or perma banned in general? Definitely not. They've clearly got no regard to the site, so the site should make no effort to keep their decorations.

I'm not sure of your current banning rules.

Now let's say you guys do temp bans (30 day, etc) for minor offenses after a warning...I think they should keep them.

Now someone IP banned or perma banned in general? Definitely not. They've clearly got no regard to the site, so the site should make no effort to keep their decorations.
thats brazy man

I'm assuming you mean if they should have their badges removed after the ban is over? The answer is obviously no.

The guide(s) that a guide author wrote don't magically disappear just because they get banned. The money that a contributor donated to the site doesn't suddenly disappear because they got banned, etc..

Would people be permanently banned from earning badges after coming back from a ban? And if not, how would they regain their previous badges? Would a contributor have to donate again? Would a guide author have to write more guides? Would people have to reach 2,2k on the skirmish ladder again? What if they're still 2,2k?

Again - the answer is obviously no.

Most of the Badges as of now have little to do with good citizenship. It would seem very time wasteful to remove the badges. If you donated you donated being banned cant change that(chargeback can), if you contributed some type of media and the media is removed then ok remove the badge.

Does this include TC badges?

Most of the Badges as of now have little to do with good citizenship.
This exactly.

If there was a "nice guy" badge and a person with that badge got banned for being toxic, obviously you'd remove that badge. Similar to how you would remove guide author from someone who deleted all their guides from the site.
Don't remove any badges unless it specifically makes sense for that badge. Common sense.

There should be a banned badge. That way people with every badge possible can get 1 more.

edit: It was just a joke

Last edited by a moderator:
The concept behind this idea isn't about the obtaining of a badge after a ban. It's about the privilege to actually deserve the badge post-ban. A banned user or user that's been banned multiple times may probably not be fit to carry them any longer.

If you like your badges so much, don't post stupid comments and we won't even need to talk about re-obtaining them.

@Yann specially the TC badges. In my eyes that is the highest badge earn able on this forum. And if you use it to feed your superiority complex and treat others like dirt so much that you get banned... then maybe you aren't a champion after all, and that privilege to carry such a badge should be revoked.

@Onlydreams I understand that Donors may keep the badge. For the arena badge, like @Dorigon said, it's not a right. It's a privilege to get it in the first place, and should you get banned, I feel like that privilege should be lost.

There should be a banned badge. That way people with every badge possible can get 1 more.

edit: It was just a joke

I thought it was funny.

@Sponsor @Dorigon
I can't even believe this discussion is happening lol. This is such a clear cut case to me. But here we go I guess...

Like Trialmop said, we currently have no badge that indicates a nice person. Therefore it makes no sense to revoke badges based on the opposite, which is currently the only thing that gets you banned.

Also I guess you guys have an entirely different view on badges than myself. I don't think they're a privilege at all.
I view badges as neat little pieces of information about other users on the site. Like a mini bio under their avatar. It's nice to be able to see "Oh this guy is a veteran and a guide author so he has been around for a while and has some guides I can go check out". Or "Oh this guy has the 2,2k badge in the level 60 bracket so his post about this level 60 arena comp is probably pretty credible", etc..

They're not really rewards. They're just little pieces of information about the user. In my opinion the donor badge is actually the only one that would make sense to remove from a banned user. It gives you absolutely no relevant information about the person and is (as opposed to the other badges) strictly a reward. It only exists to be an extra incentive to donate to the site.

On another, more psychological note @Allybeboba (and by all means, correct me if I'm wrong), think of this idea as more of a negative reinforcement. Right now, users have nothing to lose from a ban apart from a time off. Some people might see it even as an irelevant punishment for the damage they can inflict on the community for such a little price. Now, imagine if you lost all your badges if you received a ban. I can tell you for sure people would think twice before posting that racist comment or disrespectful insult, whatever it may be. People would have something to lose for their negative behaviour.
I'd like to address this point as well.
I disagree that there needs to be more punishment. Keep in mind that getting banned multiple times eventually gets you permabanned.

If someone starts considering the bans an "irrelevant punishment" and keep posting bad shit, they're just not going to be on the site anymore. How is that not severe enough?

Ahhh, Onlydreams. You make very good posts, and actually make me question what I said.

However, a gentlemen never reverses their decision. Why should a site acknowledge someone whom is nothing but a nuisance to the site? It seems almost like advertising ones achievements through a forum that they abused.

Ahhh, Onlydreams. You make very good posts, and actually make me question what I said.

However, a gentlemen never reverses their decision. Why should a site acknowledge someone whom is nothing but a nuisance to the site? It seems almost like advertising ones achievements through a forum that they abused.

if someone gets a temp ban then they should lose everything then? like the badges really have nothing to do with forum behavior and more to do with who said person is on the forum.

also if someone is permad the badges dont mean anything and itd be a waste of time to go remove them all because they are already perma banned. if they get unbanned they obviously earned their account back so id say they should get them back.

Last edited:
if someone gets a temp ban then they should lose everything then? like the badges really have nothing to do with forum behavior and more to do with who said person is on the forum.

also if someone is permad the badges dont mean anything and itd be a waste of time to go remove them all because they are already perma banned. if they get unbanned they obviously earned their account back so id say they should get them back.
You act like it takes a while to remove a member and their credentials.

Also, you clearly didn't read my initial post on temp bans. Good job on selectively reading, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread