returned to wow for low lvl pvp...couple questions.

Saxxin

Grandfathered
Hey guys...some info bout me. From when BC was released, I played WOW primarily in the battlegrounds on and off with most classes on horde and alliance. Last I played was probably mid 2014 doing alot of Ashran. I stopped mostly because I got tired of the pve grind. No other game has been able to fill that niche of fantasy battleground pvp. GW2 came close without the grind but i didnt like the mechanics. MOBAS arent my thing either. (I'm just tired of constantly having to pve/level up to play endgame BGs.)

So now I'm trying this out again but this time with more emphasis on what I thought would be less grind and more "fun" by only playing as F2P with a low lvl cap. I've spent a day catching up on info between f2p and vet accounts and what legion has done with the pvp scene in having everyone chase ilvl instead of stats and enchants. So this should make it simple enough for me, and I'm asking for your insight so that I dont miss out on anything important.

I've got a standard account and also reactivated my vet account for 30 days. I do not have legion nor will be getting it. I know i missed out on the warforged gear and may be missing out in the time to come to get BIS for twinking. I've bought all the heirlooms I could but I am missing a few of the guild rep pieces(I'm working on getting those now). I read that the bonus for having the right set pieces for the class is 5% stats increase which is pretty significant compared to getting higher ilvl for the slot. I have room on my vet account to make about 3 low lvl classes. I can bring these up to 20 in the next 30 days and also buy them the 2x rock rings, the necklace with high ilvl, the offhand bouquette. I'm assuming engineering will be best for them, and I'm mindful to try and put some high level enchants with them and farm some dungeons for stats gear for the future. (Am I missing anything else here?)

for my standard account, I'm making toons on the Dalaran server up to lvl 20 with all heirloom items and whatever quest items I can get to fill the slots for either world pvp or just to fill until i get enough gold to buy the higher ilvl items. I think this is where I'll have the most fun as the leveling process shouldnt take long to get to 10 or 20 and then jumping straight into pvp queue.

TL;DR: Here's some questions. 1) Is low lvl f2p fun or is it worthwhile if there is little time invested into developing (min/max) your build? 2) At lvl 20, what are the queue times like? 3) I skimmed the PTR changes and was thinking about making a 20 lock, pal, and maybe priest (or hunter) on my vet account, what are your 3 top picks as top tier considering the changes on class skills? Because I have 30 days on my vet account I have time to plan out what classes will be strong enough against lvl 29s. (thinking CC, survivability, etc) 4) For duels, what weapon enchants are OP at the moment?

BTW: Is it true wars will get titan grip pre 20, meaning I can make another gnome warrior dual wieling light sabers xmog? sorry for long post...

1) in bgs you get very little stats from ilvl. 0.1% per ilvl above the stat template. those high ilvl rings, neck, offhand might give you 1% extra stats. but you will still get the minimum stats as long as you fill up all your slots. enchants also dont work in bgs. so if you dont want to spend much time on it, just fill up all the slots with white items with the correct armor type and the slowest weapon you can find (for physical) or a wand (for caster) and you are good to go.

2) 5 minutes to maybe half an hour depending on time of day

i dont really have the answer to 3 and 4 since i only play a few classes and dont duel

titans grip isnt an ability anymore, its baseline for all fury warriors

1.yes I do find 20-29 very fun, but not everyone does.
2.queue times are between 1-10mins at peak
4. For str melee, go crusader, but I would say double Ele force for fury is decent too due to the slow swing speed. Ele force for casters.
About the titans grip, yes fury warriors do have titan's grip at 20.

First of all I dont play healers so I wont be writing anything related to healing specs.
1. Low level pvp is still fun in bgs. Outside of bg its kinda deserted now since everyone is on the legion hype train. The fact that vets dont really have a significant advantage over f2p makes it more balanced and more worthwhile to play low level pvp, either as a vet or f2p.
2. Que times depends. It really depends. Awesome ones are within 15 mins. Horrifying ones are the ones around 45 mins. Average should be 30 mins, but it all depends on time of day.
3. Depends on what type of class/spec u'd like to play. If u'd like to top dmg in every bg you play, boomkin, lock, arms warr and surv hunt would be ones to go for. If u'd like to have good survivability, Brew monk, pally, lock (drain life) are nice. Outlaws are overall very good as well, exceling at multiple tasks. For CC, each class has its own cc, whether its hard or soft, but mage and locks would be the best at CCing (poly and fear).
4. Dueling isnt much of a thing right now, but chants ofc do help. Elemental force gives consistent reliable damage output, and just increases ur dmg overall. Landslide for chance to proc hugely increased attack power, better than scaled down chants like Mongoose or dancing steel or berserking at lv 20. Crusader is a very good choice for warriors and pallies. Hurricane if you want to stack haste, mark of frostwolf for crit, mark of shadowmoon for vers. But generally, elemental force, landslide, and crusader (pally and warrior) are the best atm for dueling. (EF and lanslide can be enchanted 2x for both weaps main and offhand, doubling the proc chance (landslide) and 2x proc rate (elemental force)).

Thanks for the feed back and suggestions guys. I just got all the heirlooms I needed so if I wanted to play a holy paladin, he won't be in cloth. Getting engineering is on the to-do list once I decide on what classes I want to main on the vet account. Gonna take another look at those PTR screenies and probably ask some questions on those but I'm leaning towards Pal, Lock, and War.

Being able to access heirlooms on the standard account from the vet acct was a nice surprise. Also when I went to buy a couple of those recipes on my enchanter, it was nice to know the mats were taken straight out of my bank, which I saw someone mentioning in a post here earlier.

Feels like I'm coming back at a good time for the low lvl stuff even when there is debate on how endgame pvp should be. No more having to rerun Wailing Caverns or Deadmines, and glyphs are gone - nice quality of life changes.

Oh, is there much of a difference on the servers we make our alts and the queue time since there is no more "battlegroups"?

First of all I dont play healers so I wont be writing anything related to healing specs.
1. Low level pvp is still fun in bgs. Outside of bg its kinda deserted now since everyone is on the legion hype train. The fact that vets dont really have a significant advantage over f2p makes it more balanced and more worthwhile to play low level pvp, either as a vet or f2p.
2. Que times depends. It really depends. Awesome ones are within 15 mins. Horrifying ones are the ones around 45 mins. Average should be 30 mins, but it all depends on time of day.
3. Depends on what type of class/spec u'd like to play. If u'd like to top dmg in every bg you play, boomkin, lock, arms warr and surv hunt would be ones to go for. If u'd like to have good survivability, Brew monk, pally, lock (drain life) are nice. Outlaws are overall very good as well, exceling at multiple tasks. For CC, each class has its own cc, whether its hard or soft, but mage and locks would be the best at CCing (poly and fear).
4. Dueling isnt much of a thing right now, but chants ofc do help. Elemental force gives consistent reliable damage output, and just increases ur dmg overall. Landslide for chance to proc hugely increased attack power, better than scaled down chants like Mongoose or dancing steel or berserking at lv 20. Crusader is a very good choice for warriors and pallies. Hurricane if you want to stack haste, mark of frostwolf for crit, mark of shadowmoon for vers. But generally, elemental force, landslide, and crusader (pally and warrior) are the best atm for dueling. (EF and lanslide can be enchanted 2x for both weaps main and offhand, doubling the proc chance (landslide) and 2x proc rate (elemental force)).

This is meant for the o.p.
People still wpvp. People still duel. The high BG timers is found mostly on alliance. That being said.....its not that bad. With legion being out yeah the twink community suffers. Its like that at every lauch. That being said. Brackets are merged again. Xp off and xp on, play together. Also its back to. 10-19, 20-29 etc..... All in all its worth it coming back if you enjoy the PvP.

Pvp as a 20 might be the best its ever been, i mean when you really think about it we are the closest to being even with p2ps than ever before (cata 24s,mop/wod vets,present day 29s) so bgs are a blast.

A couple of pointers from my experience. I've been Vet for about 18 months now and it still keeps me entertained. Sometimes waiting for queues is a bit of a drag but bg's are usually fun (except those horrible GY farming experiences). Here are some pointers you may want to consider :-
1. get your Vet's / F2P's ported to the main city in Pandaria before your sub ends and while you can still chat on general / trade. With all the teleporters there it makes it so much easier getting to different places
2. I prefer to take Herb / Alch as at this time pots still work in bg's and they provide greater stats than having a few extra Engineering trinkets for maybe a +1 Stam and +1 Ag boost. 1 Alch pot can provide say +8 Ag. If your sub is active it doesn't matter as you can make pots from other sources but if unsub'd I'd consider going Herb / Alch
3. Obvious but unlock all your bank slots and Void Storage and fill with the biggest bags your gold can afford. In the long haul of being unsub'd you want as much space as possible
4. since you can't have more than 10g (except Vet's who can have more if they become unsub'd with more gold but then they can't earn anymore till they drop below 10g), best to store some items in your bank that you can sell later for coin. I use http://www.wowhead.com/item=38426/eternium-thread. Keep a few stacks on my Vet's so they have access to coin even after being unsub'd

With the rest of your post you seem to be on the right track. Good luck and have fun.

edit : forgot to mention, seems you may be looking at a Warrior class. I'd suggest also gearing for Prot spec as they have the most utility of the Warrior classes at the moment.

All good points. I'll definitely use the Eternium Thread method of converting gold. I also plan to get riding at 20 and stopping. I wont lock 20s either because of what I've read with some of the bugs and not being able to unlock after sub has ended. For the engi vs alch, I saw another post with many of the engineered items like backslot and boots with higher ilvl than the 25. Not sure where I want to go with that yet.

Thank you all for your input.

I forgot to mention, but you may have read it elsewhere. Make sure you don't do any profession quests while unsub'd or if you have a higher than 100 profession level it will take you back down to 100. I found out the hard way with Fishing and Cooking in days gone by.
Vet professions are also a little buggy, so don't be surprised when your sub ends if you can hardly craft anything. You can still keep your 150 or 225 profession but you won't be able to craft anything over about level 60 - 70.
So stock up on your higher level bandages and pots and +6 stam foods prior to your sub ending. You will be limited in what you can make after that sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread