EU+US (PVE) Advice on Ret Paladin vs DK / Warrior Tank?

LoneSolo

Grandfathered
First, really love finding this forum. As another recent poster said, I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but I didn't realize it might actually be viable. I'm excited to try this.

TLDR version: Should I boost another DK or Warrior (classes I'm very comfortable with) to 100 and use it as my 101 PVE twink, or should I try to use my 101 Ret Paladin (already selected artifact)?

TL version: I'm in a quandry in selecting a class. I have two plate-wearing 110s (DK and Warrior) and (out of pure coincidence) a 101 Paladin. I also have an available 100 Boost that I don't really have any other use for.

I'm very fluent with the playstyle of DK (Frost and Blood) and Warriors. I like the Paladin class well enough, but I've never gotten comfortable with it, and don't play it nearly as well as the other two.

The biggest problem is that my Paladin is Ret, and she's already selected her artifact.

In reading this forum it seems tanks/tank specs are the preference. I do see some Ret Paladins in the twink thread and on YouTube, but then it seems those may be very experienced Ret players with luck in finding gear that helps it work.

I've only got enough gold to twink one char, and I'm perfectly fine using my Boost to 100 to create another DK or Warrior for this. I'm just not sure which of these is the optimal use of my available resources.

Any advice is appreciated, and thanks again for this forum.

You can never go wrong with Blood DK for PvE twinking, and being that it starts near 60 you can get the professions boosted as well if you decide to boost it. Otherwise you have to level whatever other class to 60 to qualify or grind out profs from scratch at 100+.

You might wanna keep your pally at 101 too as it's apparently pretty strong, and blood isnt a DPS hound unless you're really, really geared... in my experience at least. You can also opt to level it to 102 and get all three artifacts in exchange for a minor stat loss. My own blood is 102 because i originally chose frost, but then changed my mind.

Have a plan tho, and stick to it because the artifact relics at 102 are higher ilvl than 101 - so you dont want to use all the relic-reward quests up at a lower level and then decide to go higher with no way to get more. Dungeons drop some relics, but i dont know how they compare to the quest rewards.

Well after reading the whole post I can try to offer some advice.

First, It is a general misconception that tanks make the best 101 twinks. It is all relative. Sure they have more EHP and possibly better sustain/mitigation but to what end? They AOE kill slower and are not as good in WPVP compared to some other melee DPS choices. That doesn't make them bad-just not as efficient is all. I guess it depends on how you will be spending your time on the twink. If you solely wish to solo old raids (possibly some difficulties that are borderline do-able on a DPS) then, by all means, go with a beefy meatshield. If you plan on just farming on the guy and speed clearing broken isle dungeons then you should choose a class that excels at straight DMG, AOE pulls and mobility. Grab some gear with Leech and it literally makes a properly geard 101 GOD MODE! Survivability becomes a non issue with enough DPS and leech. All classes have some type of self sustain so its wise to consider this before committing to a tank.

If it was me, I'd go Frost or UH DK! You don't see many of them and they can be devastating in the right hands. Ultimately it is a BIG investment so make your own informed decision and HAVE FUN! Hope this helped

Ultimately it is a BIG investment
Getting cheaper every day, literally. Markets are flooding, and ilvls are rising making the BoE gear in less demand.

Unless you wanna go all in, you can make a decent 101 for rather minor investment compared to the return of even just farming with it a lot. Selling fast runs through legion dungeons seems to be a money-maker too. If you pick a capable class/spec to do so.

Anyone know if there's ever a diminishing return on +leech? I have slots i refuse to fill until i find the leech pieces on those servers to do so and it's becoming months now.... anyone over 30% yet to find out? I have a 26% and it didnt seem to be slowing down.

Anyone know if there's ever a diminishing return on +leech? I have slots i refuse to fill until i find the leech pieces on those servers to do so and it's becoming months now.... anyone over 30% yet to find out? I have a 26% and it didnt seem to be slowing down.
I got 28% leech on my frost mage, i use my Glacial spike as a Lay of hand type of spell, and try to save it for phases where i lose alot of health. I get around 500-700k hp from leech.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Very helpful, got me past some misunderstandings I had. I moved forward with the Ret Paladin, though that was just before I read about the secondary stat nerf. Not quite sure how that will impact me, but it is what it is. The cost to gear up has been quite a bit more than I thought, so I'm moving more slowly than I intended, working the quest lines, and waiting for some slightly better deals on slightly lower ilvl items. (On my server I commonly see ilvl 840 gear listed for twice the price of 835.) Even with what I've already got it's a blast.

A question about running other chars: I've seen people say the chars you're carrying can "wait at the entrance". Is that accurate, all the way back at the entrance? They can't get loot rolls back there as well, can they?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for your responses! Very helpful, got me past some misunderstandings I had. I moved forward with the Ret Paladin, though that was just before I read about the secondary stat nerf. Not quite sure how that will impact me, but it is what it is. The cost to gear up has been quite a bit more than I thought, so I'm moving more slowly than I intended, working the quest lines, and waiting for some slightly better deals on slightly lower ilvl items. (On my server I commonly see ilvl 840 gear listed for twice the price of 835.) Even with what I've already got it's a blast.

A question about running other chars: I've seen people say the chars you're carrying can "wait at the entrance". Is that accurate, all the way back at the entrance? They can't get loot rolls back there as well, can they?

Thanks again!

Just so you know the difference between 835 and 840 isn't worth much money. Especially if the 835 has tertiary stats or a socket. If you are aiming for a specific secondary stat, a socket is worth ~12 ilvls worth of a secondary stat. So, an 835 w/ socket is the same value as an 845 w/out. This of course assumes you dont need the stam/primary MORE than the secondary. But something to keep in mind as you look for gear.

I'm really interested to hear about your mileage on the Ret paladin. I almost rolled one.

So there is no leech soft cap.

So after a few lucky finds on the AH this weekend my MM hunter is at 43% leech, and still has 4-5 doable slots left - neck, ring, shoulder, wrist and cloak (and gloves if i go cloth just to fill it). If i wanna keep avoidance capped it's only 4, tho. Kinda stoked i got a six feather fan with +leech, which is sorta the holy grail of leech.... for me anyway.

They can't get loot rolls back there as well, can they?

Pretty sure it personal loot, so they have to actually loot the corpse/chest themselves. I think the carries they were talking about were just dungeon clears for world quests, which i believe are just kills.

They can also just wander out after you clear, tho i dont know if they need to be in a range to get loot anymore.

At lower levels you do now, i found out recently.

Ya i just ran myself through some Mythic WoD dungeons. No loot unless you are within 200 yards of the boss when it dies. (The range came from patch notes. It was specifically related to World Bosses, but it seems to affect the dungeon bosses as well.)

Users who are viewing this thread