US PTR 1v1 championship - very old school

damn i wish i was on the PTR for this. is that deathstone recording with a potato?

pallies couldnt really spar with rogues at all and pwntage held his own. its amazing to see how long fights could last back then, you almost forget that now with how bursty wow is. also oblivs magic dust lol

If I remember correctly, pwntage had a winning record against every rogue in ruin and on the PTR 1v1 except obliv, so he'd figured out how to beat them. Agree that other pallies struggled. Obliv also never lost to another rogue 1v1 that im aware of, so wasn't the typical rogue.
I think obliv was most worried about atax since he was a master of landing wing clips on dodge rogues and it was hard to recover from that so game could have gone either way. I think atax lost to pwntage in the semi finals.
The big thing back then was not giving your back and what jumped out at me in the video was how good they both were at positioning so that never happened.

If I remember correctly, pwntage had a winning record against every rogue in ruin and on the PTR 1v1 except obliv, so he'd figured out how to beat them. Agree that other pallies struggled. Obliv also never lost to another rogue 1v1 that im aware of, so wasn't the typical rogue.
I think obliv was most worried about atax since he was a master of landing wing clips on dodge rogues and it was hard to recover from that so game could have gone either way. I think atax lost to pwntage in the semi finals.
The big thing back then was not giving your back and what jumped out at me in the video was how good they both were at positioning so that never happened.
interesting information ! was wondering why they were dancing around and weaving in and out . btw what expansion is this? looks like wrath

I'm not exactly sure what expansion. It was definitely before shamans or druids could run fast in the bracket if that helps. They kind of run together for me given how long again. Could have even still been TBC.

Went to the youtube page. This was posted by phone on April 2, 2007 (literally 10 years ago), not sure if that's when tourney was or if it was earlier.

Here's a comment by pwntage I forgot about. They ran stuff back to back so if you used your AGM or another long CD would grief you in next match.
woradani7 years ago
The ToC was like an iron man competition. If a CD was used in a previous fight you'd have to do without. (my loh was used against atax i believe).

Went to the youtube page. This was posted by phone on April 2, 2007 (literally 10 years ago), not sure if that's when tourney was or if it was earlier.

Here's a comment by pwntage I forgot about. They ran stuff back to back so if you used your AGM or another long CD would grief you in next match.
woradani7 years ago
The ToC was like an iron man competition. If a CD was used in a previous fight you'd have to do without. (my loh was used against atax i believe).
that sounds sick

I'm not exactly sure what expansion. It was definitely before shamans or druids could run fast in the bracket if that helps. They kind of run together for me given how long again. Could have even still been TBC.

It was in early TBC. I remember when it was going down on Battlegroundforums/PWNDepot.

I lost all my old duel and arena footage from the PTRs when my computer went to shit like 8-9 years ago. RIP

I faced obliv on US servers with 300 ping and beat him, he said the reason he lost is because he was lagging ^^
How many games and what was record out of curiosity? I know most 10v10's only played once due to taking forever but most duels ran more than once. Not always though.
I added the disclaimer for that very reason....I just never heard about it, but never heard him say "I have never lost to a rogue 1v1".

Also, to be fair, there WERE a lot of lag problems back then both computer based (he wasn't running anything top notch - doubt any of the top players were really) and the internet connections were sketchy. It isn't like today where I almost never experience any lag being a US player in the US. Sure you're aware but just saying he may have legitimately had a lag problem. Not sure why he played if that was the case though.

Also, to be fair, there WERE a lot of lag problems back then both computer based (he wasn't running anything top notch - doubt any of the top players were really) and the internet connections were sketchy. It isn't like today where I almost never experience any lag being a US player in the US. Sure you're aware but just saying he may have legitimately had a lag problem. Not sure why he played if that was the case though.
After the 1 game he said he was lagging and just logged offline. I know how the internet and PC's were back then, but even days after that he refused to go again. But yeah he was a good rogue there is no doubt about that. I've been trying to find his PvP videos online but they just seem unobtainable these days. I found one on warcraftmovies.com under the premium section, i bought premium to download it and the download and stream link didn't work, rip.

Wow I'm glad you said that because I found the same thing and was going to buy premium like tonight or tomorrow lol.

I'll text him and see if he remembers. I vaguely recall that there was a really good EU rogue on the PTR at times. Assume that was you?

Facing was the number 1 thing back then. Also this tournament was a turning point in how I saw twinking. After this happened is when I started seeking competitive teams and participating in ptr

Reactions: MYT

Users who are viewing this thread