General Playing WoW For Free?

Mocha

Legendary
I'm sure many of you have heard the whole "think about how much money you've spent on that game" thing a thousand times... I know I used to. Over the past decade, that has really added up. Sure I've had jobs, gotten scholarships, traded a few items for some free gametime, but I can't help to wonder where that money would have gone if I had never had to pay for subscription fees for the past 10 years.

Well as you're aware, Blizzard introduced the WoW Token and I'm sure you're familiar by now with how it works. If you aren't I'll give a brief overview but the official site gives every bit of information that you need to know.

Long story short, the cycle starts when player "A" wants to purchase WoW Gold from Blizzard in a 100% legal way. He spends $20 and Blizzard gives him a WoW Token that he is then able to sell on the AH to another player for around 35,000 gold depending on server. The prices fluctuate. Well let's say player "B" wants to buy gametime with his gold, so he spends the 35,000g on the WoW Token which grants him 30 days of gameplay to his account. Player A has now earned around 35,000g and player B now has 30 days of gameplay added to his account without any subscription purchase.

Instead of paying for a WoW Subscription, some people whom may want to save their money for Blizzard Products or Blizzard Services may be interested in being able to never have to pay for a subscription again. That 15 dollars a month could be used for other services or items instead.

Now personally, I had never been good at farming gold, playing the auction house, flipping items, controlling an economy and I've never put in the extra effort in the first days of an expansion to focus on gold. Well, personally I've not had to worry about a subscription or gametime for a long time now, and as a very casual player, this completely changed my outlook on playing the game.

Instead of feeling like "I payed for 30 days of gametime, I need to try to play a lot and get my worth" it's turned into "well I'm playing for free, so I can play as long or as short as I'd like and I can just do whatever I want. I don't feel guilty spending 5 days without playing."

I know there are other guides and videos to how you can make x00,000g per hour, but none of those methods were really as realistic nor reliable as they claim to be for me. I wanted something that I could casually do as little or as much as I'd like, for as few or as many days as I'd like and have real gold in my bags, not item worth values of gear that won't sell for months / years.

Last edited:
The answer for how I play WoW for free is simple: Old Raids and Garrisons.

I personally had never enjoyed the garrisons, however, when grinding up my BOA Shipyard Rings, I knew I would be checking my garrison daily anyways, so what's the bother in running my follower missions in addition to my shipyard missions? I rack up about 500-2000g a day just in doing level 3 inn treasure hunter missions alone. In addition to that, the shipyard has a good amount of missions that grant a lot of gold as well too.

Every week I was running old raids for legendaries, mounts, or that toy from Firelands for my lower druids. Well, as Asmongold has made extremely well known, cata raid bosses on 25H drop 125g RAW per boss in addition to the massive amounts of gold their gear vendors for. The raids are easily done by nearly every class with at least an ilevel of around 680 if not lower. This adds up to around 1300-2500g per raid if not, perhaps a bit more depending on drops and if you keep some items for transmog. I was finding around 6,000-9,000g per week per toon from running 4 of the Cataclysm 25 Heroic raids, namely: Dragon Soul, Firelands, Bastion of Twilight and Blacking Descent. I have 3 Horde 100s and 3 Alliance 100s. From raids alone, I was seeing from 18,000g-27,000g weekly per faction. One week alone on 3 toons with garrisons missions is enough for an entire month of gametime. For a more specific list on earnings per raid, this spreadsheet is phenomenal in highlighting expected earnings.

The raids take around 30 minutes or less to complete depending on ilevel (DS will be around 40 at lower ilevels) and I honestly always have had fun doing old content. In order to afford an entire month of WoW, you need to do from 12-15 raids per month. With 4 weeks in every month, that's absolutely nothing. Heck, if you've wanted a Swift Spectral Tiger, do these raids every week on every toon you can and you'll have more than enough gold in a few months and it doesn't even rely on any luck or skill. Just soloing old raids, using master plan and doing treasure hunter garrison missions.

Required:
Level 100 DPS or Tank with ilevel over 670
Masterplan addon

Suggested:
3+ Level 100s (same faction / realms)
Smartloot
Autorepair
Scrap

Garrison:
1) Have level 3 Inn and recruit followers with the Treasure Hunter trait
2) Level followers to max and equip ilevel increasing gear on them
3) Order missions by Reward Type or % of success
4) Set all of your Treasure Hunter missions and check back when missions are over

Run Shipyard treasure missions when possible... Goblin Crew ships increase gold reward so use them if you've got them.

Honorable mention: Jewelcrafting Hut daily. 200 gold, for a few pieces of ore, and some flowers on a rare occasion? Running 11 of these guys will basically fund my guilds repair bills for a week. - @Tacowarrior

Raiding Tips:

Vender all trash unless you know it's a rare world drop or pattern that will sell on the AH. Traveler's Tundra Mammoth is incredible for running old raids. Use Guild Page / Herald when you are unable to mount and your bags are full to vendor items. Loot absolutely everything if possible but don't waste too much time on irrelevant trash. If you CANNOT drop a boss even with the hints below and research, just do it on 25 normal if you have to (you may lose a chance at a heroic only mount though).

Dragon Soul 25 Heroic: For Hagarra, sustain long enough through lightning phase or nuke her before phase. For Ultraxion, use Drums of Fury for bloodlust to kill him before his 1 shot mechanic. For Spine, kill tendrils and then sustain until 9 bloods spawn, kill them and they will be absorbed by the Algamation. When the algamation reaches 9 stacks, kill it up close to the armor and it will nuclear blast away the armor exposing the tendon that you kill to remove the armor. On Madness of Deathwing, just nuke the wings / claws and kill the tendril that's assaulting the aspect. At last phase, aoe down the bloods moving to deathwing or nuke him before they reach him as they heal him for a lot. Check out Asmongold's videos for in-depth guides. Nobbel87 soloing 25 heroic on stream.

Run Firelands 25 Heroic: Be tank spec for Shannox or have a combat pet capable of freeing you from prism / rageface stun. Use the buff from Alysrazor and immediately after you kill her, fly up high over to Baleroc in order to kill him before his nearly one shot mechanic. Asmongold has a good video for soloing FL 25 Heroic. Nobbel87 soloing 25 heroic on stream.

Run Bastion of Twilight 25 Heroic: For Halfus, unchain all dragons and then aoe down with boss or nuke him at start without dragons. Theralion and Valiant you must avoid their huge magic damage spell. Sinestra you must kill both eggs as soon as they are vulnerable. Speed potions save the day if you're melee. Nobbel87 soloing 25 heroic on stream.

Run Blackwing Descent 25 Heroic: Chimaeron you must talk to NPC in cage behind boss for anti-one shot buff. Nobbel87 soloing 25 heroic on stream.

Last edited:
Thanks! Unfortunately, when posting this guide there were two more sections that won't post and it locks me out from the website when I attempt to post them so this is only one portion of the guide as it's intended to be.
Still getting the error?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Nope appears to be good now! At least all the raw information for this "guide" is out there. I'll go back and make a more cohesive one in the near future.
Ye well was an issue on our hosts side, had way to many firewall rules, so we got an extra weeks free hosting for the struggle

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@Mocha , do you find that the level 3 inn makes a big difference? I have been using a level 2 in for a few months now and I have always seen decent gold missions, but not great. Should I finally stop being lazy and get the level 3 inn? Is it actually worth it or just an extra 100g a day?

@Mocha , do you find that the level 3 inn makes a big difference? I have been using a level 2 in for a few months now and I have always seen decent gold missions, but not great. Should I finally stop being lazy and get the level 3 inn? Is it actually worth it or just an extra 100g a day?

Dude with level 3 inn and treasure hunters I make around 2k a day on one tavern strictly from those missions. Level 2 you still get a few, but like every day there's around 5-6 treasure finder missions at level 3. Imagine having multiple level 3 inns with treasure finders on the same realm... it's pretty damn insane.

Dude with level 3 inn and treasure hunters I make around 2k a day on one tavern strictly from those missions. Level 2 you still get a few, but like every day there's around 5-6 treasure finder missions at level 3. Imagine having multiple level 3 inns with treasure finders on the same realm... it's pretty damn insane.

Guess I need to get on that. I have 4 operating garrisons w/ lvl 2 inns

Instead of thinking about what I have spent on WoW over the last 10 years, I find it better to reflect on what I would have spent on other stuff had I not been spending money on WoW over the last 10 years. I can guarantee I would be a lot worse off financially had I not been playing WoW. WoW is cheap entertainment.

Token prices change due to currency exchange with different regions just like price fluctuation on subscriptions but the proportions remain roughly the same :)

Nvr seen em below 60k on Eu except the day the added em then they were 50.

With my setup and level 3 inns I average ~38k every 30 days/Garrison. Running with 25 followers.

Some people LOVE to farm. I absolutely HATE it. "Time is money, friend"
I would rather pay someone to farm for me and then sell the goods for even more. You have have to think of it as an investment rather than an expenditure.

For instance, if I see a couple particularly lucrative twink items on the AH below market value I will purchase them and wait for the market to reset. Repost said items. Posting cost is cheap. Eventually they will sell. Even with the AH cut after the sale I make tidy profit.

My largest income by far is from enchanting. I buy ten of thousands of gold worth of Temporal Crystals each week because the demand is so high.
I post hundreds and hundreds of auctions daily.

Gold income is going to change in Legion. My bet, the Alchemists are going to be bringing home the bacon.

Wow US tokens are expensive.

https://wowtoken.info

Actually, the US is the least expensive compared to the rest of the World.

Asia is off the charts!
I suppose it could be the devaluation of WoW gold there.

I have seen it hit as low as 29k here a few months ago. That was right after a near 45k spike when Legion was announce.
Why the drop? My speculation is, much like the stock market, people started to extend their subs because f Legion. Less token available = higher cost The token price kept rising until it reached critical mass. The people that actually do buy gold realized they could do it through Blizzard so the flooded the system. Too many tokens = low cost The price bubble burst! Tokens dropped to 29k for a few hours.
Some people got the shaft I imagine... Unless there is a minimum amount Blizzard gives you.

https://wowtoken.info

Actually, the US is the least expensive compared to the rest of the World.

Asia is off the charts!
I suppose it could be the devaluation of WoW gold there.

I have seen it hit as low as 29k here a few months ago. That was right after a near 45k spike when Legion was announce.
Why the drop? My speculation is, much like the stock market, people started to extend their subs because f Legion. Less token available = higher cost The token price kept rising until it reached critical mass. The people that actually do buy gold realized they could do it through Blizzard so the flooded the system. Too many tokens = low cost The price bubble burst! Tokens dropped to 29k for a few hours.
Some people got the shaft I imagine... Unless there is a minimum amount Blizzard gives you.

Was sarcastic, sorry shouldn't write sarcasm.

Users who are viewing this thread