Need help with an AddOn

Rob

lurking
Hey, looking for someone who has experience with creating or modifying AddOns.

I found a pretty cool AddOn that displays a FPS-style killfeed in BGs and Arenas called "KillFeed". It has not been updated since 2012 so it has a couple problems running on retail, but after a couple trials and errors I made it work.

In its original form, the feed looks like this:
2lOfW8x.png

I wanted to customize it more to my liking, so I took to Overwatch for inspiration:
Hx3cyXD.png

After a couple tweaks it now looks like this:
0kT3sLM.png

I'm pretty happy with how it is now, but I feel like I've hit bedrock in my ability to modify it any further. I have zero experience in modifying AddOns and I don't have any software to do so either so I come here to ask for help.

What I would like to know is;
Is it possible to remove realm-names from the feed? It would look much cleaner if everything was "Killer [] x [] Victim" instead of "Killer-Stormscale [] x [] Victim-Outland"

Another couple things I'd like to add to this AddOn is a blue border around the alliance class icon and a red border around the horde class icon, similar to how it looks like in the Overwatch killfeed I showed before.

Possibly even a red border around personal kills, similar to the CS:GO killfeed:
Fy8GAKH.png

If anyone with experience or know-how could look at the original code and figure out if this is possible I'd be super appreciative!

If you make any more progress on this or have someone that can help you could you please make an option to change its scale and possibly make its position movable. P.S. i dont have the original downloaded as i am on a break from wow currently so if either of these are already available then my bad.

If you make any more progress on this or have someone that can help you could you please make an option to change its scale and possibly make its position movable. P.S. i dont have the original downloaded as i am on a break from wow currently so if either of these are already available then my bad.

Hey, these are the original AddOn options:
n13J2zA.png

One of the things that made the AddOn in its original state bug out and crash was the Display and Fadeout Duration, as you see I had to change the duration to 12000 seconds (about 3,33~hours) and set the fadeout to 0. So I have to clear the kill feed every 3 hours. I could increase the duration to 30+ hours so it never requires a clear/reload while logged in.

I guess that's one of the things I should've included in the main post, to fix it so there's a fadeout and min/max duration of the feed - in it's current form it never goes away unless you click the "Clear Kill Feed" button.

There's also the "Zone Preferences" window that gives you the option to Enable in Arenas, Enable in Battlegrounds, Enable in Open World and Enable in Instances (if you uncheck the "Only Show Player Deaths" you can also have NPCs in the killfeed)

If anyone has suggestions for other options I'd be more than happy to hear them, just be aware that I'm a noob at this stuff and there's a high % that I won't be able to do implement them (yet).

I'm looking into some wiki's etc on how AddOns is made atm - seems like I need a lot of time to learn this stuff

Very cool

Update:

Finally managed to get rid of realm-names in the feed, and I removed the last spell icon in the middle of the class icons with a transparent picture of two crossed swords instead.

It now looks like this:
vVbnuZL.png

I've decided not to have the red border around personal kills, and instead have a kill annoucer in the middle of the screen, "ELIMINATED ____" when you get a killingblow.

Still trying to get a blue/red border around the class icon of the killer/victim depending on their faction.

The current crossed-swords picture is a placeholder, I'll most likely try and find something more appropriate for wow. I've also tried skulls (similar to the ow picture in the op) and other stuff but haven't found one i really like yet

Looks neat, i would love to use this. Let me know when you decide to give out a download link of it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread