EU+US Level 20 Resources

re: Level Twenty Twinking - FAQ, Info and Guides Index

Hey there, new F2P toon on AP. I have been gathering Non Heirloom BiS pieces over the past week or so and much of the gear I have lists +hit. What is the hit cap for F2P Arms Warriors looking to primarily smash face in the BGs? I have heard 8%, 3% and that it is not necessary to hit lvl 24 toons.

A clarification would be great!

Also, I really wish the Honor looms were not so lackluster, they are at best a slight upgrade over blues, and they use up Honor that could be used to purchase actual upgrades via JP xfer.

Cheers

Hey there, new F2P toon on AP. I have been gathering Non Heirloom BiS pieces over the past week or so and much of the gear I have lists +hit. What is the hit cap for F2P Arms Warriors looking to primarily smash face in the BGs? I have heard 8%, 3% and that it is not necessary to hit lvl 24 toons.

A clarification would be great!

Also, I really wish the Honor looms were not so lackluster, they are at best a slight upgrade over blues, and they use up Honor that could be used to purchase actual upgrades via JP xfer.

Cheers

You should download the f2pdev, it helps with stacking and hit capping

I forgot the name of the thread tho

You should download the f2pdev, it helps with stacking and hit capping

I forgot the name of the thread tho

Reading a few more guides more closely, it seems that a Warrior or Ret need 15% hit to be hit capped (while in a BG, it seems hit scales).

So, I have advice from one saying ignore hit and other advice saying 15%.

Hehe

Reading a few more guides more closely, it seems that a Warrior or Ret need 15% hit to be hit capped (while in a BG, it seems hit scales).

So, I have advice from one saying ignore hit and other advice saying 15%.

Hehe

You need 6 percent. This is 15 hit rating. 13 for orcs with axe/human with mace or sword/dwarf with mace/draenei with anything.

Thanks for the info on the hit rating, it makes things much clearer.

Since i do not have enough posts to start a thread, I will ask in here. As F2P toons can use the mounts and pets of their active or inactive p2p battle.net accounts, will the proposed WoD BOA Heirloom "weapons locker" also be extended to F2P players? This would be most interesting, I might need to grind some rep on my MoP trial P2P to pick up some of the purchasable looms.

Any hintof this?

Thanks for the info on the hit rating, it makes things much clearer.

Since i do not have enough posts to start a thread, I will ask in here. As F2P toons can use the mounts and pets of their active or inactive p2p battle.net accounts, will the proposed WoD BOA Heirloom "weapons locker" also be extended to F2P players? This would be most interesting, I might need to grind some rep on my MoP trial P2P to pick up some of the purchasable looms.

Any hintof this?

No why should it? F2P as of now arent able to use guilds or the mailbox makin sendin heirlooms and obtainin guild herilooms unable I don't see any sign of it changin in wod.

No why should it? F2P as of now arent able to use guilds or the mailbox makin sendin heirlooms and obtainin guild herilooms unable I don't see any sign of it changin in wod.

yeah I dont think it will change. there will be a BoA pannel but we prolly wont get access

Well played for the guide. But a question: who has been the first F2Ptwink to get the title Of the Alliance/Horde? I didn't saw mentioned somewhere

Re: F2P Information and Guides Index, Site Search, BiS Reference - Welcome :)

So I want to get involved with the whole f2p thing. I'm gona go AP and prolly horse.what are the most played classes and what is needed. I don't want to heal keep in mind.

Thanks

Hello all,

I was away from Twinkinfo half a year and I will be away longer and I have sooo many PMs. I just quickly went through them since I have to go again. >_> So much probably changed that I will need to inform myself about, I haven't been playing WoW at all.

When I come back with some time, I will go through my PMs again, ask people actual non-beer-related questions instead of very WoW-related stuff like "miss you all" and "ಠ,...,ಠ"! Then I'll try to get this updated / less outdated.

All the best, Yde

/picnic

Not sure if they've been messing with the drops in the post WoD patches, but I got it on my f2p monk in BFD shortly before the release.

Woji @ Aerie Peak - Community - World of Warcraft

What has changed is the way loot drops, if you're doing big pulls with a high level and killing more than ~10 mobs at once, then the amount of loot that drops is reduced considerably.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure if they've been messing with the drops in the post WoD patches, but I got it on my f2p monk in BFD shortly before the release.

Woji @ Aerie Peak - Community - World of Warcraft

What has changed is the way loot drops, if you're doing big pulls with a high level and killing more than ~10 mobs at once, then the amount of loot that drops is reduced considerably.

Thanks you for the info yas. Now I know I'm not just running it for no reason and it still can drop.

Have a merry Christmas :D

After months of being away from playing wow and my f2p toon I was VERY pleased to see that the problem with long queue times is solved. I was able to play AB, WSG, several AV and Eye of the storm battlegrounds. And I was even happier to see that the price for some looms bought via honor points is halved... But then after playing for couple of days after coming to my senses... I found myself playing game and game against level 29 twinks all the time being slaughtered without hope for a chance to be able to retaliate... the GAP between the f2ps and the paid twinks is become gianormous. Me who had has the best gear possible to f2ps against the paid twinks whose enchants are so OP compared to whats available to the starters... there isn't any room for comparison and quite frankly that way I lose motivation to improve (although there isn't much room for me... I only want to get the pirate ring and then Im out of imagination what to do next) simply because no matter what I can do it will not help me be able to scratch the 29s I'm placed to fight against. There's no point. I mean here and there I can win a fight if our team has more 29s but for me as an individual I don't feel good jumping around dying all the time even if I'm winning.
Please tell me your thoughts on the matter... I think the level gap is too big because 29s have upped their skillz too much against 20s and the enchants they have are horrendous...
You can look at my toon via the link in my sig, just know that I've been trying all kinds of different combinations with gear but nothing seems to work against 29s. I've tried marksman, heavy crit (40%) , survival , heavy haste gear, balanced between crit and haste and stam gear, shit I can do 5k hp with my hunter but then the dmg output sinks to the bottom of the tables...
I think that the same way that items scale for 20s we should have our abilities scale as well. At least that...

Testing new layout for updated FAQ.

Welcome!

You're in a hurry and don't have the time to look / can't find the answer for you in here?
Do you have any question at all about twinking at level 20?

Questions & Answers

Ask anything, someone will probably answer. :)

JIce2Qf.png

Stuck around?

Free-to-Play (F2P) WoW in the form of unlimited Starter Accounts has been around for quite a while now. These accounts come with unique restrictions. A newer account type are Veteran
Accounts, which are Subscriber accounts with a lapsed subscription. New possibilities and restrictions face the Veteran players.

Over time a lot of people have compiled some tremendously useful information about F2P twinking and more recently about Veteran twinking.

Feel free to have a look at this post (and the next few), in which I will try to index the available information in an easily readable way and add some of my own.

I hope you have fun and will find what you are looking for here!

Good luck! :)

JIce2Qf.png

Want me to add or edit something? Please send me a
PM so I get email notification. This thread is a continuous Work-in-Progress and I don't want to miss your suggestion! :) Since I'm currently away from WoW and not on Twinkinfo regularly, you might have to wait on a response.

While reading guides pay attention to the date they were created or last updated! Keep in mind that the Mists of Pandaria (MoP) and Warlords of Draenor (WoD) expansions or even just the latest patch might have changed things quite a bit.

JIce2Qf.png

INDEX

1.1 Getting started with your F2P character

1.1.1 Introduction to F2P
1.1.2 F2P restrictions
1.1.3 How F2P Communities Work: The F2P Addon
1.1.4 Changing your Region / Realm List

1.2 Getting started with your Veteran character
1.2.1 Introduction to Veterans
1.2.2 Veteran restrictions

2. F2P Communities and Veteran Guilds

3. F2P and Veteran Activities

3.1 (Wargame) Arenas!
3.2 Videos and Impressions

4. Class Guides

5. Very useful Guides and Threads

5.1 Creating and gearing a new toon
5.2 Maintaining a character
5.3 Twink Vanity
5.4 The Darkmoon Faire
5.5 Best-in-Slot Armory References

6. How to use the Twinkinfo Site Search

7. Thanks!

Re: Level Twenty Twinking - FAQ, Info and Guides Index

Backup post!
  • In case I fudge the editing
  • In case I want to get the layout back
  • For posterity
  • Enjoy Starter, but never forget F2P
  • sadface
Welcome!

You're in a hurry and don't have the time to look / c
an't find the answer for you in here? Do you have any question at all about F2P?

Questions & Answers

Ask anything, someone will probably answer. :)

If you have any concerns about the Twinkinfo forums, you can contact our friendly neighborhood Spider Bracket Manager
Mialo! You are also welcome to contact me for anything. :)

Stuck around?

Free-to-Play (F2P) WoW in the form of unlimited Starter Accounts has been around for a while now, and over time a lot of people have compiled some tremendously useful information about F2P twinking. Feel free to have a look at this post (and the next), in which I've tried to index this information in an easily readable way and add some of my own.

I hope you have fun and will find what you are looking for here!

Good luck!

Want me to add or edit something? Please send me a
PM so I get email notification. This thread is a continuous Work-in-Progress and I don't want to miss your suggestion! :)

While reading older guides, keep in mind that the Mists of Pandaria (MoP) expansion or the latest patch might have changed things here and there.

INDEX

1. Getting started with F2P

1.1 Introduction to F2P
1.2 How F2P Communities Work: The F2P Addon
1.3 Changing your Region / Realm List

2. F2P Communities

3. F2P Activities

(Wargame) Arenas!
3.2 Videos and Impressions

4. Class Guides

5. Very useful Guides and Threads

5.1 Creating and gearing a new toon
5.2 Maintaining a character
5.3 Twink Vanity
5.4 The Darkmoon Faire

5.5 Best-in-Slot Armory References

6. How to use the Twinkinfo Site Search

7. Thanks!

Re: Level Twenty Twinking - FAQ, Info and Guides Index

Backup post 2

There are some great introductions and threads that are a good place to start if you're new to F2P, unsure what it entails, and want to learn more about what is and isn't possible with free WoW. :)

1.1 Introduction to F2P

Create a new F2P account here (US) or here (EU)!

While I still recommend reading the first thread I'm linking below this, there have been some changes since MoP that are not reflected in that thread:
New races: Not only Draenei/Blood Elves, but also Worgen, Goblins and Pandaren are now available to F2P.
Monk class isn't.
New zones: Northrend is available.
Pandaria isn't.
There are more F2P communities besides Aerie Peak now.

Start out by reading the first posts of these two threads, keeping in mind the MoP changes:
Free to Play: 20 Twinking and You by Opinion
Free to Play FAQ and Information by iaccidentallytwink

1.2 How F2P Communities Work : The F2P Addon

If you want to be able to communicate with other F2P twinks on your server (and so much more), read the following post to learn about the features of the awesome F2PAddon:
Yasueh's Macros and Addons for F2P by Yasueh
It's possible for any player to join any community they like. Increased latency / lag is of course possible. Aerie Peak US has the largest F2P communities on both factions and there are players from both the US and EU. With a New York datacenter most people do not experience any connection issues. Aerie Peak Alliance is the less populated of the two communities and seems to be in a declining phase at the moment, but since many people have characters on AP Ally, this could change again, as it has in the past.

1.3 Changing your Region / Realm List

Keep in mind that changing the realmlist doesn't work since MoP, as the file doesn't exist anymore. If you want to play on servers not in your region, you have two options. You could install a separate client for the region you want to access, or change your WoW installation.
More on creating a US trial account:
European F2P Players @ US - Quick help. by lindenkron

Here's a simple thing I tried with the MoP installation and that worked for me:
Changing your Client
Choose one:
  • edit your client and edit it back after, or
  • if you have the room, do what I did: copy the entire installation into another folder (called WoW 2 or something).
In the copy / in your client open the file Config.wtf in the WTF folder in any text editor (I used a code editor because Mac TextEdit screws code up sometimes).
Programs > World of Warcraft > WTF > Config.wtf
Find the line for your region:
SET locale "enGB" (or SET locale "enUS")
Change it to the region you want to play:
SET locale "enUS" (for US servers, or SET locale "enGB" for EU servers)
Save the file and that's it. :)

Both US and EU Realms have thriving F2P communities. If you are interested in the activities possible, have a look at: 1.4 Videos

If you want to talk to your friends / other players in your community or bracket, you can download and make use of voice communication softwares like Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble or RaidCall. Ventrilo and Mumble require a server to log on to, RaidCall and Skype don't. RaidCall runs on Windows only.

Twinkinfo sadly no longer provides a Ventrilo server for TI members. :( For those now using another Vent server, or in case our Vent ever comes back, here's my old step-by-step guide how to set up the software:
How to set up and use Ventrilo by Yde

Users who are viewing this thread