50-59 Guide to getting Father Flame, the bis 50 healer offhand

Edwaaardo

Goat Milker
WARNING: In Warlords of Draenor, the next wow expansion, Blackrock Spire will have a heroic mode added. This means an almost certain redesign of the entire instance. Father Flame will be in all probability removed, and like Scarlet Monastery, the level to enter will probably be increased. Get this item on any 50 you have with a healing spec(or really any caster you have with what might happen to hit), even if you don't use it, before it's too late!

In this guide, we will follow an FAQ format because it makes it a bit more entertaining to read than lists of math and instructions.

1. What is Father Flame, and what makes it so desirable?

Father Flame is an offhand item from Blackrock Spire, an instance located near molten core. Although level 50's can enter the dungeon, most of the items are too high level to use, since both they and the instance are aimed at levels 55+. Father Flame, however, has no level requirement, and never has. In vanilla it was even bind on equip, and there's still people with the item on their bank alts and low level twinks. Since this item is meant for level 55-60's, it has stats that outrank almost every other choice for that slot available to a level fifty. Also with 5.4 and the scaling enchants, intellect to offhand enchants are now available at all levels, making it an even stronger choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. How does it really stack up to things like heirloom staves and other offhands?

Let's take a look at some of the top items for a 50 twink healer and how Father Flame compares. All regular offhand items have their stats listed as their stats plus those of Devout Aurastone Hammer(the clear choice for a spellpower main hand at 50) and the +6 intellect enchant. All shields are the same except with the +9 intellect enchant. Notice I am only using stats desirable to pve healers, and thus things like stamina and armor are ignored.

Here are the stats of our almighty combo:
DASH + Father Flame + 6 Intellect Enchant
28 intellect
16 critical strike
91 spellpower

Now, let's check out the competition:

Dignified Headmaster's Charge
18 intellect
14 critical strike
93 spellpower

10 less intellect
2 less critical strike
2 more spellpower

Keep in mind that intellect gives spellpower, so it still comes out ahead in that regard.

Stormbound Tome
25 intellect
12 critical strike
91 spellpower

3 less intellect
4 less critical strike

Just plain and simple, beating it handedly.

Metanoia Shield
25 intellect
8 critical strike
91 spellpower
5 spirit

3 less intellect
8 less critical strike

The large gains in crit and more modest gains in intellect should be enough to dissuade anyone from the small amount of spirit gained from the shield.

Crest of Supremacy/Weathered Observer's Shield
27 intellect
3 critical strike
91 spellpower
9 spirit

1 less intellect
13 less crit
9 more spirit

The only difference in these two items is in armor and the fact that Observer's has a whopping 5 more stamina than Crest of Supremacy. We gain 9 spirit at the loss of 13 crit, which unless for some reason you have terrible mana issues isn't a great trade in my opinion.

Book of the Dead
27 intellect
3 critical strike
91 spellpower
8 spirit

1 less intellect
13 less crit
8 more spirit

Essentially Observer's for those who can't use shields. It's only 1 spirit less than the shields. Once again if you like a little spirit more than a lot of crit, and you have a lot of time on your hands since this is a 4% drop from the very last boss in that instance, than I might choose it over FF.

In summary, this item beats nearly anything you can compare it to unless you have major mana issues, in which case there is probably a more stat efficient trade you can make in another slot.

3. Okay so now I think that this is an item worth getting. How do I do so?

When you enter the first room of ubrs, there is a bridge like thing with a way to go up and off on either side. Go left...

View attachment 3148

...and there will be a large hallway with several large rooms, occupied by mobs. You have to kill all of them for the doors near the end of the hall to open to the next room.

View attachment 3149

View attachment 3150

The next room involves clicking on the little table until the orcs around the altar in the center become attackable. After killing them, do it again for a pretty annoying amount of time and kill the fire boss when he too becomes killable.
The doors to the next room will open.

View attachment 3151

This is the rookery, where Leeroy Jenkins was filmed, and the act of looting Father Flame from here starts the encounter that was portrayed in that video. Have whoever is running you go in first to the left and try to step on the eggs in the center, which will spawn baby dragons that can be aoe'd down to make a path for you to safely run to the red obelisk at the end of the hall that should say Father Flame when moused over.

View attachment 3152

Just click the obelisk and its yours. Make sure you have inventory space, and I recommend auto loot. Dragons and things will begin to spawn when you do this, but its probably better if you die so you don't have to walk all the way back to the entrance. Simple as that, shouldn't take longer than ten minutes really.

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_111313_190300.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_111313_190300.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 337
  • WoWScrnShot_111313_190532.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_111313_190532.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 391
  • WoWScrnShot_111313_190632.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_111313_190632.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 261
  • WoWScrnShot_111313_190834.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_111313_190834.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 414
  • WoWScrnShot_111313_191013.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_111313_191013.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 310
4. But edwaaardo, I have no friends. How do I get one now?

If you are level 50 and are currently raiding or plan to raid with <Fifty>, send me a pm on twinkinfo and we can exchange realid's and I will run you through it, no problem. If you already have my realid, just contact me in-game and I'll run you through. Don't be afraid, it's really no trouble.

I have a level 50 of each healing class currently, and I am also trying to get it on all of them before WoD hits. Any runs would be greatly appreciated.

5. But how do I know that you can actually get one still? Certainly blizzard has caught on and removed this or something.

View attachment 3153

I obtained one on 11/11/13, patch 5.4, on a level 50 monk. Fava, a 50 priest got one the same day. The armory is in my signiture, and I will try to have it equipped as much as possible. Other members of <Fifty> will undoubtedly have their own soon, so other healer's armory's can be used as well.

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_111313_185430.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_111313_185430.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 309
I am almost certain this is now gone. WoWHead confirms this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread