EU+US Frost vs Arcane mage?

Jespu

Grandfathered
I want to 1shot people, any of these capable of doing that? I saw some frost mage @110 oneshotting someone with some combo, but idk if you need pvp talents, same with arcane. I like frost so far, i've leveled with it and i leveled with arcane too, i'm level 89 atm and will maybe get to 99 today.

I've mained a mage (mainly frost) for 10 years. I've shelved him since patch 7.1.5. I'm sick of the cloth-wearing fragility. In order to "1-shot" anyone, you need a lot of setup and that's assuming you live long enough for that. No idea how they play out at 99 but with 13 artifact traits I am just not sure. You'd also be missing key honor talents like Deep Shatter and Ice Form (in order to 1-shot).

I'd be curious to hear from any others who've tried mages at this level.

I've mained a mage (mainly frost) for 10 years. I've shelved him since patch 7.1.5. I'm sick of the cloth-wearing fragility. In order to "1-shot" anyone, you need a lot of setup and that's assuming you live long enough for that. No idea how they play out at 99 but with 13 artifact traits I am just not sure. You'd also be missing key honor talents like Deep Shatter and Ice Form (in order to 1-shot).

Thanks for this, already helped for a bit. I can link you some vids if you want and can you tell me, what is ice form and deep shatter, what do they do? I'm a neeeew mage and i'd like to hear more. Thanks

Go to wowhead.com and look at the honor talent calculator. It'll tell you all about it. I hate to be cynical but..... these days it feels as though you have to be an experience mage with a passion for the class to have any success. I sort of kind of fall into both of those categories yet still can't seem to have fun on my mage.

Go to wowhead.com and look at the honor talent calculator. It'll tell you all about it. I hate to be cynical but..... these days it feels as though you have to be an experience mage with a passion for the class to have any success. I sort of kind of fall into both of those categories yet still can't seem to have fun on my mage.
Alright, thanks

Well to be fair you can get well over 13 artifact points at 99. I have 15 and haven't really been farming hardcore for AP. Another player I know of has 22 points.

That said, there is only one class/spec that is actually capable of a literal one-shot; as in a single ability taking you from 100% health to 0% in instanced PvP. From what I saw, it was EXTREMELY difficult to set up. I think he only got it off maybe twice in a single battleground and I believe the damage it does greatly varies. He seemed to not want me to tell anyone about it tho for fear of a nerf so I won't say what class/spec it is. I will tell you it's not a mage tho.

Now if you're talking about taking someone from 100% to 0% within 5 seconds or less, well that's a different story. Several classes are probably capable of that. I know I am anyways (ret paladin). The key is to combine your biggest burst with a mecha blast rocket while berserked. Also, combine berserking with any other damage boosting cooldown. In my case, avenging wrath. Mecha blast rockets are off of the GCD so you can blow someone up pretty quick.

Well to be fair you can get well over 13 artifact points at 99. I have 15 and haven't really been farming hardcore for AP. Another player I know of has 22 points.

That said, there is only one class/spec that is actually capable of a literal one-shot; as in a single ability taking you from 100% health to 0% in instanced PvP. From what I saw, it was EXTREMELY difficult to set up. I think he only got it off maybe twice in a single battleground and I believe the damage it does greatly varies. He seemed to not want me to tell anyone about it tho for fear of a nerf so I won't say what class/spec it is. I will tell you it's not a mage tho.

Now if you're talking about taking someone from 100% to 0% within 5 seconds or less, well that's a different story. Several classes are probably capable of that. I know I am anyways (ret paladin). The key is to combine your biggest burst with a mecha blast rocket while berserked. Also, combine berserking with any other damage boosting cooldown. In my case, avenging wrath. Mecha blast rockets are off of the GCD so you can blow someone up pretty quick.
Thanks for the detailed info, i didn't mean with 1 ability, but with like burst as you said. I wonder what is mecha blast rocket but i will check that out. Cheers

That awful boomy yé. There I said who it is

Thanks for the detailed info, i didn't mean with 1 ability, but with like burst as you said. I wonder what is mecha blast rocket but i will check that out. Cheers

http://www.wowhead.com/item=118007/mecha-blast-rocket

It requires engineering to make, but does not require engineering to use. I've done 80k damage non-crit in iPvP with them with berserking and avenging wrath. Normally they do around 50k damage in iPvP with no damage increasing buffs.

I'm working on a frost mage currently myself, see how it plays out. About Yè, seen him/her in bg's and almost beat him/her 1v1 on my fury warrior until I got jumped and killed (all is fair in bgs). Alliance though has more twinks than horde I've noticed, fun playing as the underdog though.

I mean, Arcane has the potential for big burst because that's literally what the spec is designed to do. Amplification, Incanter's Flow (or Rune of Power if you're that kinda guy, it's sub-optimal), Supernova and Unstable Magic will give you the most burst possible.

I want to 1shot people, any of these capable of doing that? I saw some frost mage @110 oneshotting someone with some combo, but idk if you need pvp talents, same with arcane. I like frost so far, i've leveled with it and i leveled with arcane too, i'm level 89 atm and will maybe get to 99 today.
Frost has their biggest damage talents at 100, like Glacial Spike and Comet Storm. Hence it would be a lot weaker, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread