Church is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about changing the title?

From "Church is pointless" to "This thread is pointless".
I guess that wil looks better.

Feribb ur posts are the only posts I read because they're not long like everyone else's.

You are free to have your own thoughts, as am I. The perspective on life that you take seems to be working for you, so keep at it. To each their own. But let me reiterate that the point I was refuting was that spirituality = science (in essence). I agreed, in general, with your point that both seek similar ends but the means are substantially different.

Science is based around gaining knowledge through empirical evidence. It's findings are also always subject to refutation as new and/or differing evidence is observed. The word that comes to mind as I am describing this to you is a term you chose to discard on your own journey... skepticism.

Skepticism and science are intertwined and that, I would contend, is where your argument's fault appears quite glaring. You claim that you were once a skeptic but to find your own truth, you made a conscious decision to abandon it. I am not sure if you are familiar with the writings of Soren Kierkegaard, but what you describe is very reminiscent of the Leap of Faith.
Aye you make a lot of sense to me. And yeah i guess the way most spiritual people go about spirituality is way different then science is being done. However i like to say, ehmm i wish people would do spirituality in the same way as science is being done because im interested in truth.
And yeah i basicly discarded skepticism because i was being skeptic too much at that or something and felt like it was slowing down my development. i'm not sure i guess there is a balance in there somewhere..
And i dont know about Soren Kierkegaard and his Leap of Faith, so ive just read a bit about it now and i guess the things i know are not easy to proof.. like for example it took a very long time before people were able to proof that Lucid Dreams were actually something real. But for me its more important that i know what i want to know.. instead of being able to proof it to everyone.. Because i feel that my progress in learning about spirituality and therefor about life and existence would be a lot slower for myself if i would need to proof everything i experienced. i mean can non scientists proof anything anyway? Probably would need some certified people and a lot of money to proof even the most simple things officially. But dang i get your point.. and for others i'm sure it looks like im taking a leap of faith but i did this learning for myself.And im not ashamed to tell anyone about it.
And also i wanted to say im not writing stuff back all the time because i wanna ehmm how to say this... im not talking back to talk back.. im talking back because i actually like this conversation xD
Thx for it!
And to each their own!

I know you think you're smart... and other people might think so too... but I think someone's intelligence can be measured by their effectiveness in WSG.

If we're measuring your intelligence by your effectiveness in WSG that would make you a dumbass.

Does that mean the more you play the "smarter" you get?

/cheers

Man I'm not gonna abandon my child... my wife and I have our differences and it's challenging sometimes but it's not all bad... and I think it would be boring if it wasn't a challenge.
Church is only a part of living a religious life.

For some people, their religion stops at the doors of the church. For others, it is something that governs every aspect of their life.

Your problem with church seems to be that you feel your church and it's congregation should be more active. I understand that completely. I also agree that there are better and more important things than church. I personally feel more people should donate both their time and money to those who are in need. It is not just money charities need, they also need volunteers.

If this is something you think is important, why not bring it up at your church? Why not organize a fundraiser or an event were your congregation go out and proselytise. I'm sure many of your church will also think this is a great idea. Your church is a community and you can help shape it.

I hope this isn't a strain on your relationship between you and your wife. If it is, I would suggest talking your wife about why church is important to her. Maybe your wife feels safe there, maybe she feels closer to God there, maybe she enjoys seeing the same people every week. Talk to her about it and talk to her about how you think your church should be spreading the word of God more, that you think that is more important.

I wish you the best of luck.

religion's the people's opiates.

also, obvious spambot is obvious Susge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread