EU+US Can I make a f2p while im p2p?

Can I make a 20 f2p while in p2p then do BGs on him when im f2p? Or does it not let me do bg? Can I lock my xp at 20 or do i leave it unlocked? ty
Yeah, just make it a point to unlock your xp before your subscription expires because there's been a bug for a while that makes it to where if you had your xp locked by paying 10 gold when your sub expires, it won't allow you to queue for BGs. As long as you have experience gains enabled at the moment your sub expires, you'll be fine and you can play your lvl 20 on a p2p account. p2p accounts that have expired game-time are called veteran accounts and many people twink veteran 20s.

As per what @AlisterCrow said, if you make a 20 on your paid account and if you want to bg while your sub is active, then you need to lock your XP at 20. And as he mentioned, unlock your XP before your sub ends so you don't get caught with a bug that exists which won't let you bg when un-sub'd. This way of playing 20's is referred to as a Veteran (or Vet) Twinking.

However, if you want a true F2P account, I'm fairly certain you can make another account which is linked to your P2P account. That way you can have it linked so you share your mounts, transmogs, heirlooms etc but you actually are F2P. The benefit of this is your professions don't get bugged which tends to happen on P2P 20's when you become unsub'd. You can do profession daily's without stuffing up your profession level if it was higher than 100 on your Vet. This way you can actually have a F2P and P2P account operating at the same time.

I hope I've explained myself above, but if not let me know and I'll try answering any further questions.

Last edited:
This way of playing 20's is referred to as a Veteran (or Vet) Twinking.

Can someone explain to me why the word "Veteran" is used here?

It's pretty lame seeing a kid who has been playing WoW for hardly a year claim he's a "Veteran", not referring to you, but to a guy i saw in Goldshire who claimed he was a "veteran player".

It's pretty lame seeing a kid who has been playing WoW for hardly a year claim he's a "Veteran", not referring to you, but to a guy i saw in Goldshire who claimed he was a "veteran player".
veteran = bought the game but no more game time. only difference from starter is they can stay in their old guild, and join that same guild on alts. yes you pay your way to be veteran

The actual reason for this terminology is that when Blizzard introduced the ability to keep playing your account up to lvl 20 after your sub expired they called it veteran mode or something along those lines. It didn't really start with twinks it actually came straight from Blizzard.

lol its blizzards own definition. it means that you own the game but are currently unsubbed

Stupidest term for the actual thing to be called, it has nothing to do with actually being a "veteran" of something.

Blizzard's title for it. Someone of any age can be have Veteran account. It does not have to be a "kid"( yours words, not mine).

Speaking of which, what is the "Goldilocks zone" where someone is no longer a "kid" and where someone is deemed "old"? I have observed quite a few people on this forum(and others like it) refer to other people as "kids" when in fact they are probably only just a few years older than them.
While observing other forums that are of different genres age differences don't seem to come up at all. My analysis is it could be the maturity level(not linked to age by the way) of many of the posters. And/or the lack of forum policies.

In my opinion, i'd say a "veteran" twink is any twink who has been around for many years and has a lot of unobtainable, grandfathered equipment.

And over-all a Veteran WoW player would be someone who has played the game for many, many years, in most cases i come across, Veterans are either vanilla players, TBC players or Wrath players.

After all, the literal definition of the word "Veteran" is "A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity".

As for the term "Kid", i was referring to the specific guy i saw in Goldshire who was about 14 years old, hence "Kid".
You could be 45 for all i care, if you just started playing WoW yesterday or a year ago, you're not a Veteran.

It's purely an issue of terminology really, but to the players who have played this game for over 10 years it's quite cringe to see new players refer to themselves as Veterans and at the same time saying that twinks who have been at lv19 since Vanilla are not a "Veteran" because they still pay for the game.

Come to GS and duel my subbed-veteran-ftp-lvl19 #leet

F2P - An account who has never paid for game time, either linked or unlinked to a primary account. If you'd like to differentiate between the two, feel free. I do like the bragging rights of being a "pure" F2P (ie not linked through battle.net to another account)

Veteran - An account with no active game time that at one point had paid for game time.

Subbed - An account that currently has active game time.

If you're playing like Allybeboba, you're simply a lvl 20 twink.

Users who are viewing this thread