EU+US Best Level and Spec for DK

Srs

Legend
Hi everybody. I was wanting to twink 101-109 because it seems like an active PvP bracket.

I'm thinking of making a DK. I see a lot of Blood DKs. However, I'm not too much into solo PvE stuff, for its own sake, so I wonder if that would be the best choice, being as my main goal is to make the character optimal for arena and battlegrounds. What's the most effective spec in battlegrounds at the moment? Frost seemed pretty strong as I PvP'ed up to 110 on my "main", but I heard some talk of unholy being good because of its artifact.

It seems to me that not screwing up your artifact choices is one of the main things on these twinks. What are the "must have" artifact talents for each spec?

Also, I'm guessing that to level to 101, you don't want to come close to finishing a zone, so you don't get a low ilvl end-of-zone reward. Is there anything else I need to watch out for as I make this twink, so I don't screw it up?

If this is strictly iPvP then 109 is the best choice simply because you can achieve a slightly higher iLvL than a 101, and you gain access to all Artifact Weapons as well. You are going to want to level to 109 without doing ANY Quests in the Broken Isles that award Gear, nor kill any Rare that drops Plate/off-pcs for the same reason. Make sure your first Class Order Hall tree choice is the bonus to non-repeatable Quest rewards.

As for spec, I'd just play around with it (don't use ANY AP on your Artifact Weapons until you decide which you like best). Once you figure which spec works best for how you play and the Comps you face with regularity, then dump all your saved up AP into that spec's weapon.

If this is strictly iPvP then 109 is the best choice simply because you can achieve a slightly higher iLvL than a 101, and you gain access to all Artifact Weapons as well. You are going to want to level to 109 without doing ANY Quests in the Broken Isles that award Gear, nor kill any Rare that drops Plate/off-pcs for the same reason. Make sure your first Class Order Hall tree choice is the bonus to non-repeatable Quest rewards.

As for spec, I'd just play around with it (don't use ANY AP on your Artifact Weapons until you decide which you like best). Once you figure which spec works best for how you play and the Comps you face with regularity, then dump all your saved up AP into that spec's weapon.
I might just have to play around with it on my 110. The respeccing cost for this is outrageous, even at low AP levels. Guess it was worth leveling him up. Thanks for insight.

If this is strictly iPvP then 109 is the best choice simply because you can achieve a slightly higher iLvL than a 101
I would argue that 109 isn't really worth it. A slighly higher ilvl isn't going to do much of anything for you in iPvP. Demon hunters would be the only class worth making a 109 out of due to the majority of their talents being unobtainable at 101. It's probably better just to stay at 101 for better stat scaling in the open world and not worth the headache to level up slowly to 109 for next to no reward for doing so.

I would argue that 109 isn't really worth it. A slighly higher ilvl isn't going to do much of anything for you in iPvP. Demon hunters would be the only class worth making a 109 out of due to the majority of their talents being unobtainable at 101. It's probably better just to stay at 101 for better stat scaling in the open world and not worth the headache to level up slowly to 109 for next to no reward for doing so.
Except the OP was inferring that iPvP was his ONLY reason for this DK Twink, nothing else.

Except the OP was inferring that iPvP was his ONLY reason for this DK Twink, nothing else.
Artifact traits are the only thing that are going to make any noticable difference in iPvP for the 100-109 bracket. Therefore, no reason to go 109.

Artifact traits are the only thing that are going to make any noticable difference in iPvP for the 100-109 bracket. Therefore, no reason to go 109.
The highest non-Bonus you can gain from Class order Hall Missions at 101 is 165 AP. At 109 that'll be over 200. You also will have a much easier time, and much faster too, getting your Heroes to Epic and putting Equipment on them so that it'll be even easier to gain the Bonus AP as well, vs 101. If the ONLY reason you state not to hit 109 is Artifact Traits, then 109 is again superior to 101 as they can gain AP at a faster rate, for iPvP. You also will have an easier, as well as cheaper, time Gearing up a 109 vs a 101 as several Holiday Events award ~830 Gear for a 109 that 101's cannot Que for.

I'm not arguing that 109 > 101 for everything, in fact it's inferior for PvE/WPvP but for the strict use of iPvP only a 109 is in fact superior, no matter how small the advantage is.

I've decided to make a 101 DK, not Blood. The increased fun potential of 101 sounds too good to give up. I think what I'm going to do is make a toon like 95% optimal for PvP, and also take advantage of the 101 PvE shenanigans. Frost or unholy would be ok for speed runs and such?

Also, what is it about Unholy that you were saying that it was mechanically superior due to its weapon?
Currently Frost out DPS's Unholy but I can't say it will once the 7.1.5 changes hit, so you might want to read up on those. Alternatively, you could just make the toon and NOT complete the Artifact Weapon Quest (for any Spec) while you level up to 101 waiting for 7.1.5 to hit. Frost is quite good at NL speed runs so grinding AP that way won't be an issue for you. Blood is also easy just not as fast. I personally can't speak about Unholy so I'd do some Interweb research to decide which is better for you, especially in regards to Arena.

The highest non-Bonus you can gain from Class order Hall Missions at 101 is 165 AP. At 109 that'll be over 200. You also will have a much easier time, and much faster too, getting your Heroes to Epic and putting Equipment on them so that it'll be even easier to gain the Bonus AP as well, vs 101. If the ONLY reason you state not to hit 109 is Artifact Traits, then 109 is again superior to 101 as they can gain AP at a faster rate, for iPvP. You also will have an easier, as well as cheaper, time Gearing up a 109 vs a 101 as several Holiday Events award ~830 Gear for a 109 that 101's cannot Que for.

I'm not arguing that 109 > 101 for everything, in fact it's inferior for PvE/WPvP but for the strict use of iPvP only a 109 is in fact superior, no matter how small the advantage is.
So, what you're saying is that while I'd have a hell of a time leveling up to 109 taking only quests that don't give gear, avoiding rares that drop plate, etc, that it would be worth it in the long haul because my potential for AP generation would be much greater?

Interesting. Is dungeon or PvP leveling a viable option for avoiding quest gear? The only thing keeping me from making a 109 was taking a month to level.

Now I'm undecided again.

So, what you're saying is that while I'd have a hell of a time leveling up to 109 taking only quests that don't give gear, avoiding rares that drop plate, etc, that it would be worth it in the long haul because my potential for AP generation would be much greater?

Interesting. Is dungeon or PvP leveling a viable option for avoiding quest gear? The only thing keeping me from making a 109 was taking a month to level.

Now I'm undecided again.
Dungeons and PvP are only a little behind Questing in XP, they're quite a bit behind Bonus Areas in XP (but those don't award Gear anyway so do them too). It's 100% up to you which you chose to Twink at. 101 is the overall better choice but only if you plan to regularly do things with that Twink outside of iPvP, also a 101 can farm NL for AP a little faster than a 109 can. A 109 gives you the option of ALL Artifact Weapons, a little higher iLvL (for iPvP), a little more PvE to do (Dungeons) and a little faster AP gains. Lastly with the Class Order Hall Missions, at 109 you will eventually start seeing the ~1500g (with bonus) Missions that 101's don't get.

Dungeons and PvP are only a little behind Questing in XP, they're quite a bit behind Bonus Areas in XP (but those don't award Gear anyway so do them too). It's 100% up to you which you chose to Twink at. 101 is the overall better choice but only if you plan to regularly do things with that Twink outside of iPvP, also a 101 can farm NL for AP a little faster than a 109 can. A 109 gives you the option of ALL Artifact Weapons, a little higher iLvL (for iPvP), a little more PvE to do (Dungeons) and a little faster AP gains. Lastly with the Class Order Hall Missions, at 109 you will eventually start seeing the ~1500g (with bonus) Missions that 101's don't get.
I completely forgot about bonus areas. Now I'm leaning toward 109 again. Thanks for your help.

I'm frost dk I enjoy it a lot more for pvp and nelth runs. I usually queue as tank for groups in Frost, and able to hold ago well and do major dps.

Users who are viewing this thread