EU+US 101 or 109 for BG

Synkro

Legend
So, a lot of people are saying that for bg/arena you should go 109, but how really big the difference between 101 and 109? For example, as DK leveling to 109 will only give me 2 items of higher ilvl (and weap relics, so it's 3). But i'm trying to figure out how much is that in stats on BG. And as 101 i can farm levelers or low ilvl 110's while i'm waiting for bg. Maybe i'm just missing something or that 3 items will give me really big difference?

I would think 101 would be vastly more entertaining outside instanced PvP. 109 certainly has superior access to gaining artifact power than 101, and more artifact options... but legion scaling would ruin any Broken Isles PvE for me, at least.

A couple pieces shouldnt matter at all in instanced PvP. The only thing i would assume matters is artifact progression.

101 is far and wide superior in WPvP (the only exception would be a 101 Caster vs a 110 anything). For iPvP there isn't a massive difference, in fact I'd wager with a 101 in full 835 gear and w/e they can get outside World Epics, vs a 109 in full 835 gear vs w/e they can get outside World Epics won't make any major difference in iPvP. It certainly won't be the diff between 98/99 and anything from 90-97.
109 certainly has superior access to gaining artifact power than 101, and more artifact options.
The only thing I'm aware of that makes 109 slightly superior to 101 in it's ability to gain AP is the additional Dungeon, Violet Hold (at 105). There are no differences whatsoever in the actual Artifact Weapon between 101 and 109. Neither can gain Artifact Knowledge and 109 cannot remotely solo Dungeons for Chests like a 101 can (Speed of clear). You gain access to OS Artifact Weapons with a 109 though, which decreases boredom, but makes leveling additional Weapons even worse than a 101 which has with only 1.

For example, as DK leveling to 109 will only give me 2 items of higher ilvl (and weap relics, so it's 3).
What we'd need to know is exactly the iLvL difference between easy to get 109 non-World Epics (iLvL 795?) and easy to get 101 non-World Epics (iLVL 715/725) and what the iLvL difference is between the +10 101 Relics and the +? 109 relics. Lets say it is 795 vs 725 (upgraded WoD Craftable) and +20 Relic vs +10:

• (2) 795's > (2) 725's = 140 total iLvL increase.
  • (2) +20 Relics > (2) +10 Relics = 20 total iLvL increase.
  • TOTAL = +160 iLVL on a 109 vs an equally geared 101 = +10 Average iLvL or 1% Stat increase in iPvP.
This means that 109 certainly has AN advantage in iPvP but it isn't amazing. Also, we can't forget that 101's actually have access to 785 (upgraded HFC Mythic) which reduces the gap in iLvL difference to a negligible value in iPvP. There's also no guarantee that a 109 will have dual +Epic Relics of max iLvL, further reducing the gap.

EDIT: However, I'd say that any Caster DPS would be superior at 109 due to WPvP against 110's, while Physical DPS would be superior at 101 also due to WPvP against 110's.

That is actually wrong, coz 101 can solo Neltharion very fast and easily

Can every single class/spec do that? I havent played them all, i was under the impression it's not so fast for everyone.

And as 101 i can farm levelers or low ilvl 110's while i'm waiting for bg.

I'm sure you handily could do the same on a geared 109, possibly easier at the extremes. While you have trouble hitting 108+ the same would go for your levelers trying to hit you at 109.... and most 110 would be no trouble at all for 109, where as you're aiming at the poorly geared or skilled. And as Delindsay said, casters will benefit a lot from leveling.

PvE is the only concern then, and 101 is top dawg there by miles. /shrug

edit- Or are you just talking about YOUR class specifically, or what's best for ALL classes 101-109?

Last edited:
Can every single class/spec do that? I havent played them all, i was under the impression it's not so fast for everyone.
I believe if you're well geared and lucky to get some +leech on your items it becomes pretty easy.

No, not all Class/Specs can burn through NL at the same speed at 101, but neither can 109's, it'd be the exact same issue with the exact same Classes/Specs. The more important issue is that 101's can run through NL faster than 109's of the same Class/Spec and with equivalent gear (800 Quest items with full 835+ World Epics) due to the high Secondary Stat scaling that 109's are missing. I think both Levels have their place and each have strengths/weaknesses, you just have to figure out exactly what you want to do with a 101+ Twink before settling in, then decide if 101 or 109 is right for your situation.

I think both Levels have their place and each have strengths/weaknesses, you just have to figure out exactly what you want to do with a 101+ Twink before settling in, then decide if 101 or 109 is right for your situation.

yep, so the question isnt "what's better?" it's "what's better for me?".

Just gonna throw out there as well, you dont have to solo NL for chests. Everyone in the instance gets the chest. So if you have guildmates or friends or strangers that you can play frequently with that already have 101 speed-farmers, any level thru 109 will just make it go that much faster (edit- right? it doesnt scale the 101's targets, does it? I didnt notice any difference running through it on 2 accounts or running solo...). Doing it together is faster than solo. So buddy up for AP.

Soloing is convenient, but not remotely a prerequisite for viability. Not indubitably "best".

Legion content = everything scales to YOUR Level, with exception to World Quests, WB's and Suramar. A 101 will see Level 100/101 enemies. A 109 will see Level 108/109 enemies. The Recount for the 101 will show the 109's DPS scaled down to a 101 value while the Recount for the 109 will show the 101's DPS scaled up to a 109 value. It really is some VERY clever technology Blizzard has created.

Excellent topic!
I was just wondering if a ret pala could solo NL?
It's been a couple of Xpacs since i've played ret and this info would really help me out :)

Btw i almost never miss with
Excellent topic!
It's been a couple of Xpacs since i've played ret and this info would really help me out :)
My friend was soloing it with his 99 rpala, so i believe for 101 this would be an easy walk.

Excellent topic!
Dep on your Gear (how close you are to iLvL 800, or over even) all Classes can solo any of the first 4 Legion Dungeons. Speed of clear is how most are viewing 101's atm. Tank-hybrids and any DPS Spec with decent self-Healing seem to be on top, especially if you have great AOE. Boomkin, Blood DK, Veng DH, Guardian Druid, Enh Shaman are so far some of the fastest at clearing NL at 101 to the point they can hit the Dungeon lockout each hour.

The above are by no means the only Classes/Specs that are super fast, but frankly the Twinks on this Website aren't playing ALL Classes/Specs at 101 or 109 yet so only time will tell.

EDIT: There's one Spec I'm particularly interested in trying at 101 and that's Shockadin. While it may not be boss at soloing NL (no idea if it's got any AOE) the amount of DPS Mythic geared 110 Shockadins are doing in End Game is very impressive.

Last edited:
I had already leveled a DK past 101 when I realized that this bracket is probably where the action is, since I'm not willing to raid for endgame gear (fuck you blizz).

I'm probably just going to stop at 109 to check out the bracket for awhile, and then level this toon up to 110, since I probably screwed up it's gearing by taking end of zone rewards as I was leveling. I guess it will be my 110 "main", or whatever. But I have a 100 boost to use a new twink.

Anyway, what I was wondering is: I see a lot of Blood DKs. Are these PvE only twinks, or does Blood get a lot better in ipvp with its artifact? Basically, for an ipvp DK, what's the viability of each spec, and which weapon should I pick for a ipvp centric toon if I'm going to reroll to 101? Or should I just go 109 so I can switch specs easily? Can I even level more than one weapon effectively?

I'm not gold rich, so I don't have a ton of money to gear with rare BoEs. How is the gear from battleground crates?

I've got a lot of questions. Has anyone written a guide on how not to screw yourself over while leveling guide? For example, are there gear rewards I should avoid until I'm 101? Or does it even matter? I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread